Wednesday, February 21, 2007

Manuel De Sica - Dellamorte Dellamore


I recently had a request for this one, and I couldn't find it anywhere else. I know it was on a Blogspot site at one point, but I think it was one of the recently deceased sites. I could be wrong, but hopefully nobody else has it up right now.

So this is Manuel De Sica's music from Michele Soavi's brilliant 1994 film Dellamorte Dellamore. I know I have a lot of "favorite" movies, but this is one of my absolute favorites. I really love this one, it's hauntingly beautiful and grotesque at the same time, while striking a perfect balance between the frightening and the hilarious. It also features one of, in my opinion at least, the best endings I've ever seen. Does anyone know where to locate copies of the Dylan Dog comic it's based on that are translated in English?

You might know it under it's very underwhelming US title Cemetery Man. Sure Francesco is a man, and he is the caretaker of the Buffalora Cemetery, but that title is really kinda stupid and generic. Dellamorte Dellamore translates to Of Death, Of Love (or Of Death and Love) which is a very poetic and fitting title for the film. But I guess changing it to Cemetery Man made it easier to market as a straight gut munching zombie film, Of Death, Of Love makes it kinda sound like a Bergman film.

Rupert Everett gives one of my all time favorite performances as Francesco Dellamorte. It's a shame that he's done absolutely nothing I've been even mildly interested in during the past 13 years because he is perfect in this film. From what I heard he's kinda disowned this film and doesn't include it on his resume. François Hadji-Lazaro is also great as the seemingly dimwitted Gnaghi. If you haven't seen it yet, I recommend you do so soon. Here's a small example of the striking imagery on display throughout the film.



Death, death, death comes sweeping down...

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Re: The Dylan Dog comic...

A few years back, Dark Horse Comics put out (I think) 6 issues of it. They were Manga sized, so they weren't really comics, but more like books.

I'm sure you can find 'em if you go to a local comic shop, or even a comic convention.

Anonymous said...

good loookin man....you're doing one hell of a job

tikimojo said...

Great dark morbid humor. Super movie - thanks for the soundtrack!

Anonymous said...

hey
i have been looking for this for over ten years and didnt think
they ever made a soundtrack

many many thanks to you!!!!

Anonymous said...

I cant get it to work. Can it be fixed? I have been looking for this forever!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails