Thursday, September 17, 2009

Henry Gibson - September 21, 1935 - September 17, 2009


Henry Gibson September 21, 1935 - September 17, 2009

There have been a lot of celebrity deaths lately, but this one really got to me. Maybe because I used to watch Henry on Laugh-In with my Grandfather when I was a kid and it's reminding me of him. Or maybe because The 'Burbs was my favorite movie until I was about 11. Probably a combination of the two.

He's one of the few guys who I feel the need to yell out the name of when I see them in a movie. I'm pretty sure I did this in the theater during Wedding Crashers. Him and Udo Kier. Udo wasn't in Wedding Crashers, I mean I yell out his name during movies also.

I think a week-long movie watching marathon tribute dedicated to Henry is in order for us all. Some possible choices:

Blues Brothers
The Halloween That Almost Wasn't

Innerspace
The Long Goodbye
Monster in the Closet
The 'burbs
Wedding Crashers

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

This guy was great. I especially like him as a creepy psychiatrist in Robert Altman's version of THE LONG GOODBYE. He only gets a few minutes of screen time but his performance is memorable.

Wayne Hipley said...

C'mon - how can you not have Altman's "Nashville" at the top of the list? It's Gibson's best screen performance (and one for which he was nominated for a Golden Globe award)?

Scumbalina said...

oh shit, what a bummer...

Anonymous said...

Very sad news...
I remember he was in a lot of Joe Dante films.

Wendel said...

This one got to me too.
Almost as much as Mary Travers.

I think it is because they are of our generation. The generation of youth. As time passes, the youth does also.

I think I'll go listen to my "Laugh-in" record on my turntable.

Unknown said...

RIP! moment of silence...

gargoyle93 said...

"Udo wasn't in Wedding Crashers..."

And that's a damn shame!

I just picked up a VHS copy of Brenda Starr for 50 cents at Movie Gallery. It's probably terrible, but at least Henry's in it!

Unknown said...

Senator Jeff Sessions favors Henry Gibson.

Anonymous said...

RIP Henry

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails