Friday, April 26, 2013

V/H/S 2 - The VHSening


New poster for V/H/S 2, coming this July. V/H/S was an odd viewing experience for me. I suffer from motion sickness a lot, as little as 10 seconds of watching someone play Call of Duty can make me dizzy enough to necessitate an hour or two of lying down for me to recover. I don't quite have vertigo, but it's pretty close, I like to call it "Almost Vertigo". I know, I'm clever. The weird thing is that not everything triggers it. I can watch really shaky cam heavy stuff like the Bourne movies and be fine, but then a 3D viewing of Underworld Awakening last year (which wasn't very shaky at all) nearly led to me coating the theater floor with vomit. 

V/H/S unfortunately did end up getting to me, in fact I got dizzy enough that I had to split the viewing into two parts. Overall though I did enjoy the movie despite the fact that almost none of the segments being included on a VHS tape made any sense. Ti West's segment could've been something found on a VHS tape, but why would a Skype session be on a VHS tape? Or the segment with the date-rape-party-guy with the camera recording digitally through his glasses? How'd that get on a V/H/S tape? The first segment started out very rocky, but once the horror part kicked in I kinda loved it. I also really liked the final segment with the house "party". I found myself pretty indifferent to the middle two segments, in fact I'm having trouble remembering anything other than the basic plots for those two, but none of them were outright terrible. I liked it, but I don't feel the need to own a copy.

Anyway, what I'm getting at is that I'm in for V/H/S 2, though I'll probably need to pop a Ginger Root tablet to combat the motion sickness. The main selling point for me is seeing Jason Eisener's name on the poster. His output has been way too light since Hobo With A Shotgun. I love the visual style he instills in his work, but the only thing I've seen from him since Hobo was the Y is for Youngbuck segment from The ABC's of Death - which was one of the better entries in that film. So I'm really anxious to see what he's come up with for V/H/S 2. All I know so far is that it's called Alien Abduction Slumber Party, and that sounds like it pretty much can't not be awesome.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails