Oscar-winning actor Philip Seymour Hoffman was found dead of an apparent drug overdose —- with a hypodermic needle still stuck in his arm —- inside a Greenwich Village apartment on Sunday, cops said.
A personal assistant found Hoffman in his underwear on a bathroom floor at 35 Bethune St. and called 911 around 11:30 a.m., sources said.
Cops found heroin inside the apartment, where Hoffman — who has repeatedly struggled with substance abuse — had been living recently, sources said.
“He was shooting up in the bathroom,” a law-enforcement source said.
More news here.
Okay, first off, that's probably not the classiest headline you'll ever read in a celebrity death post, but I am so completely shocked to hear this I can't believe it. I had no idea the guy had struggled with drug abuse problems throughout his life so this news came out of nowhere for me.
I first saw Philip in one of his very first roles as Chuck way back in 1993 in Bob Balaban's zombie comedy My Boyfriend's Back, and I've enjoyed this guy in so much stuff for the past 20 years - The Big Lebowski is probably my favorite comedy ever. There's no other way to put it, this sucks.