Friday, August 10, 2007

Smokey and the Bandit


Jerry Reed and Bill Justis' music from the Oscar Nominated film (no, really, look it up) Smokey and the Bandit, starring Burt "Turd Ferguson" Reynolds, Sally Field and the late Jackie Gleason. I was just reading about Sally Field (I subscribe to her newsletter) and was amazed to see that she still looks pretty much the same as she did way back in 1977 when Smokey was made. She's over 60 now but she's still rather young looking. My theory, she's a robot. It's really the only logical explanation I can come up with.

Smokey and the Bandit is another classic movie which for whatever reason hasn't seen a soundtrack release in a few decades. It was released on LP and Cassette way back when the movie first came out (which have long since gone out of print, obviously), but there's never been an official CD release. Kinda sad really because I think West Bound and Down is a fantastically catchy and genuinely fun song. Plus it also perfectly fits in with the movie, I couldn't imagine a better song for this type of movie. The rest of the music is also great and I find it makes for really good driving music. Try it next time you've got somewhere about 45-minutes away to drive to. But you know, keep the speed somewhere near the posted limit if possible.

So here you are, I don't have the tracklist written down but the tracks are titled so it shouldn't be a problem. I'll type it up later if I have time.

Oh I love your suits. It must have been a bitch to get a 68 Extra Fat and a 12 Dwarf.

7 comments:

Hjalmar Poelzig said...

....and don't forget the instrumental score was by Bill Justis. Jerry Reed only performed the songs.

phelpster said...

Ah, of course, good call. I've adjusted the post accordingly:)

Anonymous said...

Also remind me when we get home to punch your mama right in the mouth.

Coppermouse Dolls said...

Thanks a million! My husband is overjoyed.

Anonymous said...

Keep on Trucking.

BillyWitchDoctor said...

I'm a day late and a dollar short, but here's a detailed track listing, after much Googling...

1. The Legend - Jerry Reed
2. Incidental CD Dialogue (Bandit and Snowman)
3. Westbound And Down - Jerry Reed
4. Foxy Lady - Bill Justis
5. Incidental CB Dialogue (Bandit, Smokey and Snowman)
6. Orange Blossom Special - Ervin.T Rouse
7. The Bandit - Jerry Reed
8. March Of The Rednecks - Bill Justis
9. If You Leave Me Tonight I'll Cry - Gerald Sanford
10. East Bound And Down - Jerry Reed
11. Incidental CB Dialogue (Bandit and Snowman)
12. The Bandit - Dick Feller
13. And The Fight Played On! - Bill Justis
14. Ma Cousin Plays Steel - Bill Justis
15. Hot Pants Fuzz Parade - Bill Justis
16. Incidental CB dialogue (Snowman and Smokey)
17. The Bandit (reprise) - Dick Feller

phelpster said...

Ah cool, thanks a lot Billy, I appreciate your help:)

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails