Thursday, January 31, 2008

April Fool's Day Remake - No Thanks!


April Fool's Day is the next film we get to see a remake of (March 25th, beating Prom Night by a couple of weeks) and the trailer (which I just found on Arrow In The Head) can be seen above. I personally love the original April Fool's Day, and like every one of these things they're putting out lately, this particular remake looks incredibly mediocre. Not awful on a Terror Toons kind of level (my go-to choice for worst movie I've ever seen), it just seems kind of boring. The trailer kind of reminds of the movie The In-Crowd for some reason. Anyone else getting that? For some reason this one didn't get to go theatrical, so look for the DVD towards the end of March. This is actually quite a mind-boggling release date as April 1st, the actual April Fool's Day falls on a Tuesday this year. Why they didn't just wait a week to release it? It probably would've helped to boost sales, at least a little bit. Way to plan guys!

I say No Biff, No Deborah Foreman, No Sale.

7 comments:

lonestarr357 said...

It looks to me like they grafted the plot of the original PROM NIGHT (with a dash of TERROR TRAIN) onto this film.

It's nice that Cordelia is working again, but this doesn't look that great.

And how much you want to bet that the ending of the original is jettisoned?

Unknown said...

God Damn I wish Hollywood would stop remaking films. I am really getting tired of it. I am all so tired of the remakes of foreign films; (One Missed Call, The Eye, ect...).
Love Your sight! Peace.--- Rick

The Fiji Mermaid said...

Jeez.. this looks awful, like direct to video crap. It really seems to have no similarity to the original April Fool's Day, other than the title and the killings happening around that time. Seems like it could have easily been called "I Continue to Know What You've Been Doing the Past Few Summers: IKWYDLS part 9".

I heard there is a "My Bloody Valentine" flick in he works too, it's just awful. Yesterday I read that Platinum Dunes is going to do Nightmare on Elm St. remake too. I think hell has frozen over.

Anonymous said...

All these remakes are so depressing.
I get why some slick producer would find it luctrative to revisite an old (and maybe forgotten) classic, but now they're even turning toward not-so-popular B-movies which in some way, over time, earned a small cult following.
Also, the way they approach these remakes... Reminds me of the latest Argento 'La Terza Madre', which clearly aims at 13-year olds who wanna see some gory effects and a couple of lesbians while munching their popcorn drenched in cheese...

The Vicar of VHS said...

I only saw the original once, wayyy back, and just remember being kind of non-plussed by it and kind of hating the ending. So (at the risk of losing any good will I might be able to build up in the future--sorry phelpster!), this doesn't infuriate me that much.

That said, I know from experience it's almost always better to visit the original than any pg-13 remake, so maybe that's what I'll do instead of forking out any cash to see this one...which I probably wouldn't do anyway.

Yeah, maybe I'll put the original on the ol' Netflix queue and give it another chance. I was young and foolish back then...

ErinPaperbackstash said...

Sigh sucks. It will be cool when this remake trend just dies.

Vinnie Rattolle said...

I rented the new AFD just for morbid fascination. No, it's not "Terror Toons" (I'd forgotten how terrible that was), but it's not far off. There's not a likable character in the bunch, the film's tediously paced, there's barely any blood, no gore, no nudity, and an ending that's so unbelievably, unintentionally funny that I stared at the screen in disbelief of its unoriginality. They tried to one-up the ending of the original (the only thing they lifted from the original) and failed on every level. Once I finished it, I completely understood why it went straight to video. Perfect film for masochists, all others should beware!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails