Monday, November 10, 2008

You Can't Do That On Television


This is Barth, Alasdair, Alanis, Christine (weird name, right?) and the rest of the gang from the strangest young adult sketch program to ever come out of Canada: You Can't Do That On Television

Nickelodeon announced about a year ago that they would be releasing DVD sets, but I'm pretty sure they decided to drop that idea for whatever reason. It's actually a bit odd considering the show was actually on for a decade. I'm sure it would sell at least as well as Clarissa.

The show is probably best known for the early appearances of one Alanis Morissette. Who ever would've thought that young, half Wolverine/half Fats the Dummy haircut-having Alanis from You Can't Do That On Television would grow up to sell 55 million albums, then star as God in a Kevin Smith movie? I for one, did not see that one coming. She actually wasn't in all that many episodes, but I did include two of hers here today. She's in Parties (anyone?) and IRONICALLY* she's also in the Pop Music episode. Well, I guess that's more coincidental than ironic, really. Oh well, I'm not changing it.

I'd go into more detail aboot the show, but YCDTOTV.com has everything you could possibly ever need to know about the show. Including current photos of many of the 100+ cast members who appeared on the show over the years.

Things To Watch For:

Adolescent Assassination Attempts
Alasdair - He Wears Short Shorts
Blurring the line between "secrect admirer" and "stalker"
Introducing the Trapezoidal Hitler Mustache
Phytophilous Principal
Barthy Burgers - Still better than Friday's
The Bus Driver With The Sgt. Slaughter Shades
The Monocle - The Unicycle of Eyeglasses
Naked Boys and Priest jokes: The Early Years
Meatballs: Canadian Style. Oh wait....
Dave Was....Her?
Alasdair - Bondage fan?
The Green Slimes - Hey, at least they're better than Nickelback
Boombox of The Gods
The 3 B's : Black Sabbath, the Blue Oyster Cult, and the B52s

*Sorry.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I loved this show. I look forward to revisiting it. Thanks

Poo Flinger said...

This show is great, I can't wait to check out these episodes and would love to see the rest on here sometime.

Chick Young said...

Phelpster, in case I don't say it often enough, your blog fucking rules.

Best,
Chick

Anonymous said...

Your blog continues to dazzle me. I absolutely loved this show as a little thing, and can't wait to have some nostalgia! Thanks! :D

p.s. If you *did* decide to upload more, I would totally snag them as well. ;)

Anonymous said...

I've been looking for this show forever! I'm very excited to see it again. Thank you.

Anonymous said...

Wow, this show stinks even more than I remembered. Thanks!

Chris Wolfe said...

WOW i remeber watching this as a kid on NIK. man great show really weird too bad there isnt any programs like this on tv anymore.

great blog been cooming here since 06

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails