Saturday, November 18, 2006

Wolfman's Got Nards! Bruce Broughton's score to The Monster Squad


This is the Bruce Broughton score to Fred Dekker’s The Monster Squad. This one seems to be quite hard to find and doesn’t appear to have a legitimate release available. Everyone loves this movie and I’ll tell you why, it’s great assortment of loveable characters. You get Dracula, Frankenstein (the kids acknowledge Frankenstein being the guy and not the monster, yet they just call him Frankenstein the whole time anyway), The Mummy, The Creature (or Gill Man, as he‘s called here), A betesticled Wolfman, Fat Kid, Wayne Arnold and of course Scary German Guy. Watching the movie now makes you notice it’s a bit more violent than it should have been given it being a bit on the kid-movie side. They shoot some vampire brides with stakes, Dracula picks up a little girl by the head and says “Give me the amulet, you Bitch!“ before being impaled on some really dangerous looking railing, they even explode the Wolfman for God’s sake. Pretty gruesome for a movie like this. But who knows without all that I might not be demented bastard I am today, so I still love it.

Watching it today also brings up a few questions. For example, why did “Fat Kid” have an aluminum foiled wrapped, half-eaten slice of pizza in his jacket pocket? I can understand Fat Kid has a candy bar, or Fat Kid has a bag of Skittles, but a slice of pizza? How fat was this kid supposed to be? I’ve also always wondered, does the Frankenstein monster really need the platform shoes? The man is pushing like 7 and a half feet as it is. Seems a bit unnecessary. Did they even have platform shoes in the 19th century?

Also, I thought I’d mention Ryan Lambert, who played the film’s badass, Rudy, sings in a band called Elephone. Pretty good band actually from the little bit I heard from their page.

Anyway, the tracklist I found has no titles, just numbers so that will have to do unless one of you out there have the tracklist. But download, and enjoy.

If we pull this off, I'm gonna shit!

14 comments:

nomwl1 said...

Hi Phelpster!

Hey, I get to be first again! Thanks so much, Phelpster, for letting me know this was up; I've had an incomplete copy for such a long time and so I'm so glad you posted this!

I love Bruce Broughton and the score, and I've always had a soft spot for the movie, so thanks again! You're the best! (and now that I think about it, I'm pretty sure your blog's fantastic too) :)))

P.S. And on a totally unrelated MST3K matter, must get the tune 'Creepy Girl' out of my head.

Erick said...

Wow!
Thanks for this. I love The Monster Squad.

Erick
Monsterama2000

Blofeld's Cat said...

many thanks for this post!!

would you mind if I plugged my soundtracks blog - i just started and I wanted to invite folks to come & take a look and, of course, partake of the music.

here is the link (be sure to check back for updates often):

http://dichtungundwahrheit2006.blogspot.com

Anonymous said...

thanks man - damn shame Fat Kid passed away.

Vinnie Rattolle said...

Utterly awesome, phelpster, thank you! You've just made many kids of the 80s very happy! Now if only they'd release the damn movie on DVD...

Anonymous said...

WOW man, awesome share!! I've been wanting a copy of this for a good looong time. I check this site everyday and and I'm never disappointed. I was wondering... in the mix you just made you had the Revenge Of The Nerds rap. You wouldn't happen to have the song from the movie by Bone Symphony called "One Foot In Front Of The Other" would you? It was also featured in an episode of Family Guy and is one contagiously catchy 80's tune. Thanks for any help, dude!

phelpster said...

Sure, here you go, this is the One Foot In Front of the Other track:

http://www.sendspace.com/file/pbtsw0

I actually have the complete soundtrack, I just don't want to post it on the site since it's available on Amazon. People tend to freak out on you if you post stuff that's available. The Tri-Lamb Rap isn't on the soundtrack for some reason so that's why I put that on the compilation. Although the soundtrack does have the Revenge song called They're So Incredible which has the music from the Tri-Lamb rap, just minus the rap part.

attax said...

Hi Phelpster,
thank you for this one. Didn't knew it exist :)

Anonymous said...

Man, you are da MAN! You've made my day twice in a row now with this one buddy! BIG THANK YOU!

The Fiji Mermaid said...

GREAT POST. Thanks so much, I was looking for this one on and off, Since it seemed so hard to come by I had almost given up finding it.

Keep up the great work.

Anonymous said...

This music is so enjoyable that it more than makes up for the dubious sound quality and tape hiss that plagues so many bootleg scores.
...a one of a kind album to treasure!

Dr Blitzen said...

Dear Phelpster.

Thank you for uploading this score. Its genius. I love Broughton.
All the best
C

Anonymous said...

Yo Phelpster, can you re-do that link for the revenge of the nerds song, one foot in front of the other, it's expire. Much appreciated.

Hjalmar Poelzig said...

It's just been announced that Intrada is finally doing a limited release (3000 copies) of an OFFICIAL soundtrack for MONSTER SQUAD, but without the songs.

A little too late, isn't it?

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails