Wednesday, July 09, 2008

Phelpster's Custom DVD Covers

Here's something I wanted to do on my Space Bastard site, but never got around to doing. As you have seen a few times before, I like making DVD covers for the MST3K episodes, or the occasional movie I post, and CD covers for my compilations. So I thought I would post some of the covers I've done for movies that have yet to see a DVD release, or customs of ones that do have a DVD release. Some of the covers I do are pretty much just straight conversions using the VHS cover art, and sometimes I try and do something original. Of course mine are nowhere near the quality of say, the guy over at Bunny Dojo, but I'm trying.

This is something I like to do sometimes in my free time. As it turns out, having no life really gives you a good deal of free time. I would love to do something like this as a profession, but I know that's a long shot, especially living near 4 major universities filled with trained graphic designers. But, since I make these things and have no one to really give me feedback, I thought I would post some here to get some comments or suggestions. Do keep in mind that I have yet to take any design classes (or any classes for that matter), so if you find these to be of tremendously poor quality at least tell me why, or what would improve them.

You'll notice that they might have the credits from Zombie or Escape from New York on the back. Just ignore that, I have templates for different studios and sometimes I'm too lazy to actually fix all the credits accordingly.

First up is 1981's The Amazing Mr. No Legs, the story of a Handicapable Badass named Lou. This is a rare example of the short-lived Handicapsploitation subgenre. I think there's pretty much this one and The Crippled Masters, not really much of a subgenre. The Amazing Mr. No Legs is kind of like Death Wish, if Bronson had fallen off of his roof before wishing death upon his enemies. Okay, it's actually not like Death Wish at all. I made this cover when I downloaded the movie a few months back, but I still haven't actually watched it yet so I can't really say what it's like at the moment.
Moving on to the much maligned slasher from 1976, Drive-In Massacre. There is a DVD for this one, but I don't really like the cover, so I made this one. I just noticed that one image is on the back twice. Don't know how I missed that, I'll update that sometime later, those were the only screenshots I was able to find.
Endgame is one of the countless Italian post-apocalyptic films of the 1980's. So ridiculous, yet so entertaining to watch. If this cover is any indication, in the future, football is going to be AWESOME!
There is a DVD for this one also, but I wanted to use this old VHS cover with a pretty strange design of some lacerated arms seemingly growing from within the soil.
And the last one of this first batch is Mausoleum. The batshit insane "demonic possession of a bossomy trophy wife" classic from 1983.


I'll stop there, but if anyone wants to see anymore I'll post some more.

12 comments:

Adam Wilkins said...

These are great! Its always difficult to put together a cover for such obscure titles, but you knocked them all out of the park. If you're willing, id love to see more of them.

If you want to see some of mine, heres the link:
http://wilkee.deviantart.com/gallery/#DVD-Covers

- wilkee (filmtracks)

Anonymous said...

Dude, I'm really lovin' these covers. I'm a new fan of the site, I appreciate the service you are providing by offering up data for download. The Living Dead at Manchester Morgue is by far the best zombie movie no one ever talks about.

I love the borders and text work.

John said...

Yeah, agreed, these are all really amazing. I'm a big, big fan. I like that you credited Gemser as Moira Chen, and I sure with BU and AB would *actually* release some of these titles. Great work! If I owned a DVD company I'd definitely hire you!

Corlen Kruger said...

I really like the way you have treated each cover to suit the theme of the movie very nice work.
Here are some of the ones I have done.
http://www.corlenkruger.com/2008_02_01_archive.html

phelpster said...

Thanks for the comments guys, glad you like the covers and are able to overlook the double image in Drive-In Massacre:)

Adam - Thanks a lot! I really like what you've done as well, I love the Capote cover. I just started up my own Deviant Art page, here's the link if you want to check it out:
http://phelpster.deviantart.com/

There are some more that I've done on there and I'll be sure to post some more here once I go through and update the credits - it's amazing how many of my covers list Lucio Fulci as the director.

Corlen - Thanks:) I just looked at yours, you've done some great work yourself. Not just with the covers but with the other art you've got on there. I love Comrade Cosmonaught, that guy rules. Very nice work!

Adolfo - I make them full-sized but the files are usually between 1-3 MB each so I use Imandix to make the cool little 3-D versions which are only like 600-700 kb. If you wanted to print any of them out just let me know and I can get you the full version.

Great site you've got there too, I'll add it to my links:) I really like the name you've come up with and excellent way to start off reviewing Burial Ground. Tremendously bad movie there but I love it to death.

Anonymous said...

I should've mentioned it before. We're always looking to expand our list of link buddies over at Analog Medium

I think you might especially enoy The Encyclopedia Zombica

Let me know and we'll set you up with a prime spot on our sidebar.

phelpster said...

Sure, that would be great! I'll add Analog Medium to my links as well next time I update the site. Thanks:)

The Fiji Mermaid said...

Very good work. I like when you were able to use an old VHS style/poster art. I like the old original VHS covers much better then when they reissue some of these DVDs

Anonymous said...

Sweet, the manchester morgue is now listed as an official Analog Medium link buddy.

*tips his hat*

Cheers.

Anonymous said...

Those covers really are stunning. The cover for Mr. No Legs makes me want to watch it against my better judgement.

Anonymous said...

Hi. Love the simplistic Drive-in Massacre sleeve - in design simple really IS best.

Could you tell me what application/program you use to display the sleeve 3-fold as in your covers? I would love to use it but can't find it anywhere!

Karl Lock said...

hi mate - any chance you can email me a fual size version of the Amazing Mr No Legs?

Love your work

karlock@xtra.co.nz

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails