Friday, June 29, 2007

Did you know there's a guy living in our closet?



I had someone looking for the soundtrack from Real Genius, so here it is. Real Genius was released in 1985 and it was directed by Martha Coolidge, who also directed Valley Girl a couple years earlier. This was Val Kilmer's second starring role, and I believe his last comedic role (unless you count Top Gun) before he went and got all serious on us. It also stars Jon Gries who was the legendary narded wolfman in The Monster Squad. This is going to make me sound kinda dumb, but up until about 5 minutes ago I could've sworn it was comedian Stephen Wright who played Lazlo in this movie. Turns out with long hair Jon Gries looks a hell of a lot like Stephen Wright, if you're not really paying attention.

There's also a brief appearance by the criminally underrated (and very hot) Deborah Foreman, who also worked with Coolidge on Valley Girl. It's a shame she's not more well known, she was great in April Fool's Day, Waxwork, hell even in an intentionally bad movie like Lobster Man From Mars. She just kinda quit acting in the early 90's, which sucks because in addition to being very photogenic she was also very funny and likable. I think I've mentioned it before, but I always had a huge crush on her when I was younger, she does this little lip thing while talking to Val about an hour into the movie that almost killed me back then. You know what I'm talking about. So yeah, what I'm getting at is that you can't really go wrong with a movie with Val Kilmer, Deborah Foreman and a Wolfman. This movie is proof.

Anyway, there was never an official release of this soundtrack for whatever reason but I was able to put a fairly complete soundtrack together. This features every song listed on the IMDB page except for the Tonio K. track, which I don't think was ever released. Not on any albums or anything, at least none that I could find. Of course if anyone actually has that track leave a comment and let me know. I made a cover for it, then I got bored and made another one, using the identical layout with different art, so I've posted both. I couldn't find a high quality logo to use, so I had to make one up. I chose to use a Jeopardy font that I have, seemed kinda fitting at the time. If you click on the covers they're huge, and a bit rough looking being that I didn't have any higher quality images to work with, but if you wanted to print them or something, they should look okay. I've also made a back cover for it, but I don't know if I'll post it. I think it's a little too busy looking, but I might put it up anyway.

1. Everybody Wants to Rule the World - Performed by Tears For Fears
2. All She Wants to Do is Dance - Performed by Don Henley
3. I'm Falling - Performed by The Comsat Angels
4. Number One - Performed by Chas Jankel
5. One Night Love Affair - Performed by Bryan Adams
6. Pleasure Seekers - Performed by The System
7. Standing in The Line - Performed by The Textones
8. Summertime Girls - Performed by Y&T (Yesterday & Today)
9. The Walls Come Down - Performed by The Call
10.You're the Only Love - Performed by Paul Hyde and the Payolas
11. You Took Advantage of Me - Performed by Carmen McRae


Can you hammer a 6-inch spike through a board with your penis?

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great great post! Real Genius is a classic! The music in the film always worked so well too. I have always wondered who some of these songs were by, especially the scene when they were studying for exams, now I know. Thanks!

Anonymous said...

Dude, I love your site. Especially your impeccable taste. Keep it up!

The Fiji Mermaid said...

THANKS!!!! Phelpster I really appreciate you posting this one!

Adam Wilkins said...

Big fan of your blog and have decided to start my own soundtrack blog. Please, check it out and tell me what you think. If you like it, maybe you can add a link to my page? Appreciate it.

Link: http://filmtracks.wordpress.com/

PS we share a favorite movie: Withnail and I

Anonymous said...

Hey Phelpster!

Would you be able to repost the OST to Dragon: The Bruce Lee Story? I've been looking everywhere for it!!

If you can't, no worries. Love the site regardless. Keep up the great work. Happy Fourth of July!

Anonymous said...

Thanks a lot. One of the best movies of the 80's.

Phaota said...

Thanks for putting up this soundtrack, though I already have it. But, I'm still on the look out for one missing song from it. It's "The Tuff Do What?" by Tonio K. Do you happen to have this tune? If anyone reading this has it, please get in touch with me at phaota1@fastmail.fm. Thanks.

Chris JC said...

I always liked Michelle Meyrink, a.k.a Alyson Hannigan mk. I, also somewhat joyous in Keanu Reeves in pretty good acting shocker Permanent Record.

Diogenes said...

Yo Phelpster!LUV your CD artwork for this but I can't quite manipulate the back of the insert per view on deviant art site. You said you might post it, but it's 'busy' - I LUV me some busy bro so PLEASE post the back of the insert and any other views or versions you have - your work is classic and should be recognized as a National Treasure! Thanks in advance!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails