Tuesday, December 12, 2006

Michel Legrand - Une Femme Est Une Femme

Here's the score from Jean-Luc Godard's 1961 sophomore directorial effort Une Femme Est Une Femme. Well second feature length directorial effort, he had done some short films prior.

The tracklist for this one kinda resembles what you'd find on a Regurgitate album or something. It's not a bunch of hilarious and disgustingly titled grindcore songs, obviously, I mean there's a whole bunch of tracks, but some of them are only 30 seconds to a minute long. In fact the whole file is only about 20MB. I'm sure there's probably a better example I could've used, but what the hell, you don't get a chance to mention Godard and grind in the same breath very often.

9 comments:

David Federman said...

Thank you, thank you, thank you. Michel Legrand's score for this movie was wonderful. I never expected to hear it apart from the film. Unlike Truffaut, Godard seems to have developed no close working ties with any composer in particular--although he always coaxed good scores from the people with whom he worked. Just think of Delerue's music for "Le Mepris."

Anonymous said...

thank you, if you have the soundtrack "La Dame Dans L'Auto Avec Des Lunettes Et Un Fusil ..." from Legrand, you are the best.

A french fan of this site

senderon said...

I love Michel Legrand, thanks a lot for that.

David Federman said...

Listening again to this soundtrack, I was struck how much it is the byproduct of a Godard film--quirky little fragments, cues, rarely complete song snippets. And yet Legrand's music shines through and is some of his best. If you think about it, this album represents as much a deconstruction of the traditional soundtrack album as the movie was a deconstruction of the Hollywood musical. I recently watched the restored and rereleased DVD version. It seemed a bit belabored, self-conscious and archaic. But it also seemed like an etirely original, highly inventive homage. Even when Godard fails, his films are worthwhile.

unknown said...

link seems to be down

phelpster said...

Sorry, looks like the entire HideURL site is down at the moment, I just put it up through another link hiding site, should be fine now.

Anonymous said...

thank you very much do you happen to have the titles for any of the tracks???

phelpster said...

No sorry, I only have this album as MP3s and the titles didn't have any names. I tried looking when I first posted this one but I couldn't find an actual tracklist. If I find one I'll post it though.

Trent Vittorio said...

Sorry mate just wanted to verifty that the file post above is the Une Femme Est Une Femme soundtrack and hasn't been changed in the meantime.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails